- Daily Wear – Designed to be removed each day for cleaning, and should be taken out before sleeping.
- Daily Wear Disposable – Soft lenses designed for single use, removed before sleeping and discarded.
- Extended Wear – Can usually be worn up to six days, and then are removed for cleaning.
- Extended Wear Disposable – Soft lenses worn from one to six days, and then discarded usually after two weeks.
- Frequent and Planned Replacement Lenses – Soft daily wear or extended wear lenses that are replaced on a planned schedule, usually every two weeks, monthly or quarterly.
- Continuous wear – Soft lenses that can be worn for thirty consecutive nights.
Silicone hydrogel – The newest most breathable soft contact lens material.